no right click

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ryan Sage

Along with Ken Gushi, I was fortunate enough to be allowed to send some questions to Ryan Sage, the co-founder of Formula Drift.

How has the atmosphere leading up to the season opening event changed over the years?
The atmosphere leading up to the season opening hasn’t change dramatically over the years per say, but if I were to say anything, I think the vibe is a bit more refined and calculated. Not only from our end, but also the teams. This year in particular was a quiet off-season. I say that not to refer to it in a good or bad way, just to make an honest observation.
 
Was there more pressure for you and the event crew going into this season due to the new racing surface?
No, no real pressure there. If anything, we knew it would be better.
 
Do you feel that the rule changes regarding tires worked in the direction you were hoping for?  Do you foresee any future changes regarding power to weight ratios?
As far as I can tell most people think the tire rule to weight ratio is a good thing. It seems to be the most effective, cheapest and easiest way to give everyone a fair shake. Will there be more adjustments in the future, maybe. For now, we are happy with how things are. As far as power to weight rules to be implemented, no, I don’t see that being realistic or even good. The tire to weight is the best way right now.
 
Do you feel the early success of Daigo Saito will help branch out the popularity of Formula Drift to new fans?
It might. I think Daigo, like most FD drivers, brings a certain swagger to the game. I believe it is good to have another champion in the series (with his own car) and thus able for us fans to see the best in the world knock it out. I enjoy it.
 
How has the sport changed due to the loss of veterans such as Tanner Foust and Sam Hubinette?
Well I think it’s changed like just about any sports who has athletes that either retire or move on to other things. It doesn’t fundamentally affect what we do, but it’s something that happens. Having done this for close to ten years now, drivers moving on, or retiring, is a reality. I say that knowing that those guys are still very much in their prime and having them blow up in general, for me, is a token of how powerful the brand has become and what it can do for careers. FD is not taking credit for their individual successes, but it’s something of note I think that is admirable about the series. I also know that both Sam and Tanner, if given the right opportunity, would be back to slide for a bit.

I realize that a lot of folks might have asked Ryan about the judging "conspiracy" of the past few years, but I opted not to ask about this, as there is a new dynamic to the judging this year with Tony Angelo going back to driving and he himself has addressed this numerous times in other medium.  I have always felt that they are open regarding why the judges made their decisions and Wrecked Magazine analyzed an event and made it clear that the judge that people thought was being unfair, was toward the opposite of the perception.

I wish the best of luck to Ryan Sage, Jim Liaw, and the entire staff at Formula Drift on their continued growth of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment